From: Kathryn Y Langston <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] 1880 Hively, Thomas Robert -
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:43:17 -0600

Notes below.

And thanks for posting this. I've been looking for the article
that I know I've read in which I have seen where the Woodcock's
road on the train to or from Ca. This is similar to what I've seen
but seems there was that train story in the one I've read.

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:08:52 -0800 "Wilma (Younger) Norton"
<> writes:
> From: Arkansas Hively Family Anecdotes, Vol. 8, No. 1, (Issue 22),
> Jan.
> 1997: pg. 1222
> Rev. Thomas Robert Hively - His Civil War Adventures and Other
> Stories, as
> told by his granddaughter Everne Hunter and as compiled by Barbar
> Allen of
> Batesville, Ark, a Langston family historian.
> Editor's comments: Rev. Thomas Robert Hively married as his second
> wife,
> Polly Langston Woodcock. Her first husband was Modena Francis
> (Frank)
> Woodcock. Frank and Polly left Arkansas and went to Calif. in 1874.
> They
> lived near Visalia, Calif for seven years. Then Frank died of Civil
> War
> related complications.
>
> Polly stayed in Calif. for a year after her husband died

Interesting. 1874 plus 7 tallies up to 1881, the 1880 census
indicates Polly was already a widow.

>and then she
> returned with their seven children to Pineville, Izard Co. Three
> years
> later she married Rev. Hively. They had three children: Martha
> (Everne Hunter's mother), Janie, and Thomas. Rev. Hively's
>second wife was a niece of his first wife, Sarah "Jane" Langston.
>end quote

I can't agree with the second wife being the niece. We know
from Sam's,that Jane was a daughter of Absolom Sr's, so that
means that Mary Polly would have to be a daughter of one of
Ab's son's and John bn 1820 does have a daughter Mary "Polly" bn
in 1841. Guess I'll have to check with Tess to see what we
have for her, I don't have a marriage for her in my data. However,
the census Bernie just found indicates she was born in 1843
but then again, 2 yr decrepancies aren't unheard of. I don't
have notes as to all the reasons we think John and Maldred,
other than the information from Herron in the newsletter that
gives Mary Polly being a sister of his grandmother Margaret
"Peggy". Fern, could you ask your dad if he knows whether
Polly and Peggy were sisters for sure?

> From another issue (Vol. 8, No. 2, (Issue 23), May 1997: a
> typewritten
> transcription of pages from the Daniel and Thomas Robert Hively
> Bible.
> Thomas R. Hively was born on the 21st of August in the year of our
> Lord
> 1836.
> Jane Hively was borned the 16th of November 1844.

That's a 10 yr descrepancy from the census records. Its closer
to the year Polly was born than Jane.

> Thomas Hively and Poley Woodcock was married March the 18th 1883
> (originally
> 1884, but 4 crossed out).

1874 + 7 years is 1881, add 3 years would make a 1884 date, makes
one wonder, who did the crossing out. Or whether the story was told
right about the 1874 plus 7 add 3?????????????????????????????

My brain is fried, its nearly 1 here I'm going to bed. I leave it to
any of you night owls that are still up.

Kathryn

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=b
oar