From: "E. Champion" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] Nicknames in the 19th Century
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:54:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,

I'm glad I'm a pack rat. Don't remember WHO sent this but I believe
it was on the list (or A list, anyway)! It's not complete as we have
all found out! <BG>

Evalyn

OUR ANCESTOR'S NICKNAMES
by Edmund West

Name changes and spelling variants give novice and professional
researchers
a headache. Working next to some tourists visiting the Family History
Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (FHL) in
Salt
Lake City, I overheard one of them say, "Well, that can't be her!
That
child's name is Patsy and everything we've found says our ancestor
was
Martha. I think it's the wrong family." I leaned over and explained
that
Patsy was used as a nickname for Martha during the nineteenth
century. That
episode replays contiually with different characters and names at the
FHL
and other repositories with genealogical records. It's distressing to
think
about how many people have left any research library feeling
empty-handed,
when in fact they'd been successful in finding the right person or
family.

Nicknames can be harder to associate with an ancestor than surname
changes
(the subject of part two in this series about names). It's impossible
explain how or when a nickname was born. Most of the time parents
created
endearing names for their children, just as parents do today, and
those
names became as popular as the official christian name given at
birth. All
it takes to determine the origins of nicknames used commonly in the
United
States over the last several centuries is two good lists.

Male & Female Nicknames

Nickname Christian Name(s)
Bell, Bella, Belle Arabelle, Anabelle,
Isabel, Isabella, Rosabel