From: "The Carver's Daughter" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Re: ARIZARD-D Digest V01 #730
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:21:36 -0400

I haven't used McAfee or any of the other purchased AV programmes, so can't
vouch for any or put them down. But if you do want to buy one, for
immediate protection you could download the free one at www.grisoft.com to
protect your computer till you get a purchased one and install it.
Also, a firewall such as Zone Alarm [also free]. I have mine enable for
mail protection. When a .exe file [which is what a virus needs] attachment
is sent to me, ZA renames the extension and put their little icon in front
of the name so that I will know they have renamed it. If this is a valid
file that I do want to open, ZA will allow me to change the .exe back, but
only after asking me two or three times if I am really sure I want to do
that. That keeps one from accidentally clicking on the attachment and then
realising what they have done.
For getting rid of it, I would try going to www.symantec.com or
www.housecall.virus.com
housecall will scan your system or any part of it for free and attempt to
"heal" it if you want.
They are saying that Roadrunner cable isp has been so badly hit with sircam
that it is really slowing it down and putting a monkey wrench in a lot of
emails and things.
Carol