From: "Marci" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Picnic at Mt. Olive
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:03:08 -0600

Betty,
That sounds so wonderful! I could almost smell the flowers blooming as I read your post! I can't wait to get up to Arkansas and see my family's old homestead! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Marci Shaw Peralez

"If you can't get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well dance with it." - George Bernard Shaw
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 8:25 AM
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] Picnic at Mt. Olive

Hi all;
This may be especially interesting to Jeffery descendants:
Yesterday, my sister, Shirley Hill, my cousin Sue Chrisco, and a friend Bonnie Jeffery Phipps (dau. of Dick and Bonnie Irene Jeffery) went to Mt. Olive and had a picnic. It was a beautiful day, with a little breeze blowing. We first went to Bonnie's old home place, then we went to the old Jeffery Cemetery which is at Bone Island. The little cemetery looks like an island itself. There were jonquils blooming, here and there, in the cemetery. Near the cemetery is the ruins of the first Jeffery's old homeplace (Jehoiada). There are two big chimneys still standing and you can still see what was probably the cellar which is lined with big rocks. It must have been under the living room, or kitchen floor.
Our next stop was the old Jeffery Hotel. This is a huge old house, which has just about fallen down. There were jonquils blooming all around, and little grape hyacynths. There is still an old rock house which was probably their ice house, or storage house.
From there we went to another cemetery, which was the "old Jeffery Cemetery". It is up above the river. From there we walked down to the river to the flat rocks where the steamboats used to land. The river was high, but Bonnie pointed out a round small ring, which she said had been placed in that rock, by Jehoiada. Until a few years ago, there was a large iron ring which was secured in the smaller ring in the rocks and that is what they used to tie, or anchor their steamboats. After that, we called it a day and headed back home, but it was a good day, and I wanted to share this with you all.
(I made several pictures of these sites.)
Betty Mc