From: "Bill Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Bill Blevins, Leatherwoods book
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:14:21 -0000

LIFE IN THE LEATHERWOODS ---BY John Quincy Wolf
It was written from the articles (and Personal notes )published in the in
the Batesville Guard over a period of years when John Quincy Wolf's dad was
in business ( I believe a banker) in Batesville. It was about his early
life in the Leatherwood Mountains...( Area around Culp up to Norfork), and
also in the Calico Rock area. His son, John Quincy, who was a professor at
Memphis State University, took all these articles and his dad's notes and
published them into this book. It was so regretable that John Quincy Wolf
passed away ( with cancer ) a week before the book was released from the
publisher.

He gives an excellent picture of just how difficult life was in The
Leatherwoods - area of the Ozark Mountains, and the obstacles he faced (
John Quincy's dad). He was left as an orphan, and tells of his mother being
the last surviving parent. I believe she died before he was ten years of
age...and mentions she was buried in the Moccasin Creek Cem...At the mouth
of Moccasin Creek and White River. In the old Talley Cemetery. ( See the
EHC Izard Co Cem Book .) The last recorded burial here was in 1904. Robert
L. Wolf, b. 26 Mar 1835, d. 7 May 1870. He would have been John Quincy's
grandfather, and the grand mother would have been Catherine Adams Wolf....
NO Birth nor Death Date Recorded. Also 4 of their children are buried here
with no birth dates nor death dates.

I visited this Cemetery about 15 years ago, and it was so grown up, and had
I have not known it was located along the banks of Moccasin Creek and beside
the rail road I would have never found it.

He gives a great accounting of the operation of the bushwhackers operating
in the area during the Civil War. Early school days, and mentions Dan
Hivley and the Spring Creek School...Gives detail of his mother dying and
when they buried her she had sweat on her face...( Did they bury her alive
and in a comma? ). One can get a real sense of just how difficult pioneer
life was back then, and appreciate the luxuries we take for granted each
day. Yet, these people were happy and made the best with what they had.
Life itself was the only thing of value to them.

I can guarantee you ...It is a book that once you pick it up ,you will not
want to put it down until you have finished it...It is also a book you will
remember the rest of your life, and one you will want to read over and over
again. Probably you will put it on your favorite book list.

Bill Blevins