From: "E. Champion" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] Internet Expressions (OFF SUBJ!!)-Billy and Jim<g>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:01:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi Guys!

We have ALL had to ask the same questions!

When you have a "face to face" conversation it is very easy to
project your feelings...a smile...a frown....a look of disgust...but
in email it is NOT so easy! Therefore, a new form of "written"
communication has taken place! A written communication that
"explains" your feelings about information that you have received or
how you feel about information that you are sending.

I found an interesting website regarding the "written" communication
tools! I have read only part of it and do NOT know the complete
contents of the website. The part that I DID read (and below is a
brief excerpt re: LOL!) explains just HOW to project your reception
of someones email! It also gives you some insight as to how certain
greetings and signatures may be perceived by the person on the
"receiving" end!

For example: When you PUT YOUR INFORMATION IN ALL "CAPS" IT IS
PERCEIVED AS SHOUTING!!!! (feel it???)

It's very interesting and I learned some new stuff myself! LOL!!!

Ev
(Don't know why but Yahoo won't highlight the link. You'll have to
"cut and paste"...Ev)

http://www.rider.edu/users/suler/psycyber/emailrel.html#cues

lol
LOL
LOL!!!!
ROFL!!!!
LMAO!!!

The ubiquitous LOL (laughing out loud) - which originated in
chat rooms - is very handy tool for responding to something
funny without having to actually say "Oh, that's funny!"
It's feels more natural and spontaneous - more like the way
you would respond in a face-to-face situation. The sequence
of acronyms listed above indicate increasing levels of mirth -
beginning with the weak, perhaps even perfunctory "lol" and
moving toward the unrestrained "rolling on floor laughing"
and raucous "laughing my a_ _ off." Once again, exclamation
points enhance the effect.

This thread: