From: Jean Mayfield Cuevas <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Daniel Jeffery - Jim Skaggs
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:32:59 -0500

Beth,

Jane Mason was born in "Kingston, Alexandria, Old VA", according to
researchers. Dale Hanks has said that he has never been able to find
anything with a listing for "Kingston" and that perhaps it was the name of
her parents' home. Here's Dale's article written about Jane MASON JEFFERY:

THE FALLING OUT
By Dale Hanks

"The doctor woman was a native Virginian. She was a rare individual to be
found in the Izard County wilderness a century and a half ago. Her refined
upbringing in the Eastern establishment of Alexandria, Virginia, during the
American Revolution was later to be in sharp contrast to the life she would
come to be known as one of the original American pioneer women at Mt. Olive
on the White River. She was highly educated for that time and place and
included in her academic preparation was study at a doctor school back
East. Her name was Jane Mason and many frontier families in North
Carolina, Tennessee, Southern Illinois and later in Izard County, Arkansas
came to depend upon her medical skills in attending women during childbirth.

It was Jane Mason's commitment to midwifery that finally led to an
irreparable falling out with her husband, James Jeffery. It brought her to
a lonely grave. Separated from her family's burial grounds even in death,
she lies isolated in a remote area just south of Mt. Olive near the left
bank of White River. The doctor woman was a touch of class in the
primative Ozarks. Turned out by an irate husband, Jane Mason retained her
dignity to the end. Nature has favored her final resting place with a
grassy cover mixed with green fern and tall oaks that stand as witness to
her compassion for others who were in need.

The late John Wilson of Mt. Olive was one of very few people who knew where
and why Jane Mason was silently buried in 1853. It was almost dark on that
late November afternoon in 1981 when John led my cousin, Alfredda Rhoades,
and me through a barbed-wire fence, across a deep gully, and up a
briar-covered slope to where Jane Mason was laid to rest more than a
century before. Alone.

Her husband, James Jeffery, and most of her deceased family members, were
buried or would be buried in the old original family burial grounds on
Jehoida Jeffery's place a few miles north of the Mount Olive depot. Later,
many would be buried at the Flat Rocks Cemetery, near what was then
"downtown" Mt. Olive. Jane Mason Jeffery was Jehoida's mother.

"why is it John," I asked, "that Jane was buried here? Why not with the
others?" "Well," he replied, "Jane and her husband, who everybody called
Old Jim had a falling out. After the falling out she came down the river
to live with her son, Daniel. The falling out so final that she and Old
Jim were buried in different places."

Old Jim had died ten years earlier and was buried at Jehoida's place. You
might speculate, I guess, that either Old Jim and Jane had an agreement
about separate burial sites or else it happened later at Jane's
request. Then again, the sons, Jehoida, and Daniel, might have decided
upon different sites. This is probably, however, that Jehoida and Daniel
made the decision. I believe like John Wilson indicated; the falling out
was so complete in life that it extended into death and burial as well.

After we left the grave site and had returned to my Aunt Jessamine
Jeffery's house at Mt. Olive, John and Jessamine went on to tell how that
in old Virginia Jane Mason had gone to a doctor's school and was skilled in
obstetrics care during labor which was originally known as midwifery and
was largely in the hands of women. Later when Jane Mason and her husband,
James Jeffery, left the East and moved westward to the White River valley,
James insisted that Jane give up the practice of midwifery. Apparently
some sort of agreement was that she would no longer engage in this activity.

They had been in Mt. Olive for some time and Jane Mason honored Old Jim's
request to give up midwifery. Then one dark stormy night (such nights are
always dark and stormy) someone from across White River on the Stone County
side came to the house pleading with Jane to come with them to attend to a
woman was having an unusually difficult labor. It was a life or death
situation,and Jane's knowledge and skill were desperately needed to save
lives across the swollen river.

But she had promised her husband that she would forego the practice and she
knew that he expected her to keep this promise. Jane Mason did not have
long to make what was to be one of the most important decisions of her
life. If she went, she knew that Old Jim would throw a fit. If she did
not qo, she knew that lives would likely be lost. It was either James
Jeffery or those forlorn souls across the river.

Jane Mason quickly decided that she would first of all have to live with
herself -- with or without James Jeffery. And she knew she could not live
with herself if she refused to go across the river and help the distressed
family. So she went to save lives and, in so doing, lost her husband."

Jean Mayfield Cuevas