From: "Rosemary Kenney" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] OFF SUBJECT - Old Photographs
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:45:27 -0500

Good morning List Members,

Ever wonder - as I have - why people used to look so serious in their
pictures; why they never smiled? Well, the paragraph below explains it. In
case you want to go there and read more, I copied it from an article in this
month's Rootsweb Review at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/syft/curcolumn.htm

"The portrait sitter was placed in a chair, while a metal clamp behind their
necks held their heads still to prevent blurring. They were told to be still
and blink as little as possible. This explains why many of these early
photographs feature our ancestors with fixed, blank stares, stiff positions
and few smiles. Exposure time was about a minute, as compared to the
fraction of a second modern cameras require."

Rosemary

This thread: