From: Doug Leonard <> (by way of Jean Mayfield Cuevas <>)
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] Wild Haws,Watkins - Rosemary; Bernie and Jean
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:36:08 -0500

Rosemary,
Most interesting. Thanks for keeping up with this Wild Haws story. You are
definetly turning it into a masterpiece - a definite gold brick - for our
future generations. Actually, thanks to all involved, the evolution of
this story are well archived. Its evolution is about as interesting as the
story.
But, today, Rosemary, for the first time in its evolution, I think you have
brought it to the point I can finally attach it to my database. Would for
sure like to attach this evolution and story to my database via our Jeffery
line (and further developments.) The early Independence Co. connections it
brings would also be a welcome foundation to my database for future "our
line" attachments. Am also keeping an eye on them Martins. A very long
shot for me, but one worth the effort on my keeping up (educated) on.

Well, back to the main point at hand, connection to the story. Rosemary,
you wrote (below):
"
> His daughter, Elizabeth Mahala Martin, was married (2nd wife) to Dr.
>Owen Thomas Watkins, a widower. Mahala was born in 1837, making her fifteen
>yrs younger than Dr. Owen. He appeared on 1850 census in LaCross with wife
>22 yr. he was 28, his bros: William F., a merchant age 33 & James D. a
>horticulturist 31.
"
Now, I have the connections (from the Jeffery line) up to Sally Jeffery b.
12 Feb 1837 d. 13 Sep 1856 married on 22 Oct 1854 to William F. Watkins.
Nothing else on William F., not even his dates. Sally's parents being
Honorable Jehoida Jeffery md. Mary "Polly" Weir (maybe Ware.)

Am I assuming correctly by saying the two above William F.' are the same
one's???

If so, I would have my connection to the Wild Haws story (and evolution
therof.) Ole Doug L. keeping both his fingers crossed.

Yes, and also, please do make sure Meredith Gibson does get our data
-especially the Martin. Anything you two work out, Wild Haws or early
Independence Co connections to our lines I would definetly be interested in
looking at.

On my Martin, its so thin its ashamed to even mention. But, within the
mergence of my family lines around my Gr Grandfather Sutton Sherman Martin,
I am suspecting reminants of family surnames (Davidson and Harvey) to have
connections to early Arkansas, Lawrence and Independence Co.'s in
particular. Just a very thin gut feelin. Actually, my Gr Carrie Bell
Harvey b. 27 Mar 1871 Illinois d. 23 Aug 1951 Arkansas, Marmakuke, Greene
Co. married first Sutton Sherman Martin b. Jan 1868 Illinois, 2nd Married
Step Gr William Davidson b. 1870 Illinois. All converged on Greene Co., AR
from Illinois, born on a date there (IL) that would preclude their being
descendants of Early Lawrence or Independence Co. lines. Not really
suspecting a direct connection from Lawrence or Independence, but more of
grandparents or great grandparents (or other of their descendants besides
my branch) type of connection into Early Lawrence or Independence. This
line of thought is based a lot on other lines (and their reminants thereof)
like the Jeffery and Langston (and others) who are documented as to having
migrated through IL and into Early Lawrence, Independence, and Izard. With
dates like 1870's my knowns have definetly missed the original Earlies into
these areas. But, and also, this father side family group (as opposed to
this Step Mother's Jeffery side), has been known to mingle with allied
reminant family of the Langston and Jeffery left in IL some 50 years after
their trek through IL. Just call it a very thin gut feelin, maybe the
earlier of my Martin, Harvey, and Davidson didn't migrate "with" the
Langston and Jeffery, but, I am thinking that my earlier did migrate with
the waves of folks that migrated out of IL into Early AR - the same wave
that the Jeffery and Langston rode in on. Like I said, very thin, but
still worth it to me to develop the concept. With our Jeffery, Langston,
and stories like Wild Haws, it sure does makes it an enjoyment to keep up
and educated on these early parts of AR. - like killin two birds with one
stone. Always easier to work with data you know are kin.
But, anyway, sorry about that mind bender, but Rosemary, if in your working
on this Martin line with Meredith Gibson, could you be on the lookout for a
Sutton Sherman Martin, Carrie Bell Harvey, and a William Davidson. This
family group is also known to have been in Leachville, Mississippi Co., AR.

Oh yes, Bernie, did I happen to catch you sayin you had a picture of Wild
Haws. If the two William F.'s are the same ones (so I can connect my
database), I would for sure like to have a copy of that to throw into the
archives along with this story.

Thanks,
Doug Leonard