From: "Rosemary Kenney" <>
Subject: RE: [ARIZARD-L] Wild Haws,Watkins - Bernie and Jean
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:03:03 -0500

Bernie,

Did I say Ambrose's sister? I meant to say his Aunt Sally JEFFERY married
William F. WATKINS on 22 Oct 1854. They had no children. She died in 1855.
They were married such a short time, that's why I wondered if she (and the
baby) died in childbirth.

At one time we had a WATKINS descendant (or connection through the MARTINs).
Her name is Meredith Gibson. Do you remember, she's the lady who gave me
permission to share with you all a 105-(I believe) year-old family letter?

She's been working in genealogy for a loooooong time - a very interesting
lady. She and I corresponded for a while and every time I email her, she
answers promptly. I told her I'd send her any info on her names. It just
dawned on me during our Wild Haws discussion, that I'm "falling down on the
job" as there has been a lot of MARTIN info shared lately. I should have
been forwarding it to her. She lives in California, I believe. I wonder if
she would be interested in a copy of the picture of the house.

Below is an email from Meredith about her MARTIN and WATKINS ancestors:

"My 2nd ggf, Jared Carswell Martin came to Ark. in 1821, age 15, on a
mule with a $10 goldpiece his mother gave when he left Cape Giraradeau, Mo
to join his older bros Allen & James Hutcheson Martin who emigrated there in
1815. All pioneers of Arkansas.
Jared had another bro, John Martin 3rd living in Independence County in
1818 and then returned to Missouri and finally in 1840 returned to
Independence County, for good.
His daughter, Elizabeth Mahala Martin, was married (2nd wife) to Dr.
Owen Thomas Watkins, a widower. Mahala was born in 1837, making her fifteen
yrs younger than Dr. Owen. He appeared on 1850 census in LaCross with wife
22 yr. he was 28, his bros: William F., a merchant age 33 & James D. a
horticulturist 31.
I will quote from "Family History of Martins" by Jared's daughter, Mary
(Mollie) Douglass Martin who married John Martin's son, Jared Carswell
Martin, (confused yet?) her first cousin. She grew up with the other Martin
gang, Douglass family. Family meant a lot to all of them.
She writes: "During Civil War Grandfather Martin went to live with his
daughter, Elizabeth Mahala Watkins, on her husband's plantation "Wild Haws"
where he died in 1864, Sept 27th. In 1861 Yankees came onto his plantation
and destroyed everything, including Family Bible brought from Ireland. He
failed after that. He took with him his orphaned granddaughter, Fannie Ella
Martin - her parents died when she was 2 (her mother) and 8 (her father).”
"Wild Haws" was a great place, according to Mollie D. Martin. At any
rate Fannie Ella stayed on with Aunt Lizzie & Uncle Owen, who it seemed
inherited all the orphans of the family (nine in all) and had 12 children of
their own!! The children were taught by "Uncle Bully" (Wm F.), Owen's
brother. He was a widower in 1864 and made his home with Owen & family.
Dr. Owen Watkins had attended Elizabeth Mahala's mother, Rebecca, until her
death on 28 Dec 1850.
From age of 13 Elizabeth Mahala ran her father's home until she married
Dr. O.T. and started her own large family + orphaned cousins.

(Note: Dr. O.T. Watkins is listed in 1850 with wife 22, but she must
have died soon after as he was stated as widower when attending Rebecca at
her death in Dec, 1850.)

"Wild Haws" was a large estate, which one entered by means of two large
gates. The little community, consisting of a general store, post office,
drug store, hardware store, etc. was practically owned by Dr. O.T. and was
about 1/2 mile from the estate (main house) and to this community came
people from all around to trade. His home was a large brick house, with
brick made on the property. Had comfortable quarters for slaves which were
a distance from main house. Principal crops were corn & wheat. however all
other kinds of foodstuffs were also raised. He had immense orchards that
furnished fruit for all in abundance, there was a smoke house for the meats
All of Owen & Elizabeth Mahala's children lived to adulthood, except for
two. Three of children lived with her until she died, others marrying and
moving to homes of their own..
I do not know what date she died though it was after Dr. Owen died in
1904 and she was 67 yrs old to his 82 yrs at his death.
William F.'s wife died within year of marriage, but apparently he
married afterwards.
Molly Douglass named Elizabeth Mahala's children, but gave no dates which
I find strange as she was 7 yrs younger than Mahala and grew up with
visiting back and forth.
Mahala & Dr. Owen had: John Martin; William Francis; Mary Elizabeth;
James Allen; Owen Thomas; George Colwell; Ella; Fred Davis; Emma; Nancy
Jane; Edward & Fannie Watkins."

Interesting history of the Watkins/Martin family.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, one of the narrators of "Down Memory
Lane II" mentions the "old Watkins house" and descendants of former Watkins'
slaves who "took" the name Watkins.

Rosemary