From: Diana Buckland< >
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Book Slaves in the Family-Diana
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:01:38 -0500

Thanks for all the info Bernie. Sounds like an absolute "must read" for all
of us with Southern roots.

> Diana, the Ball master proceeded to whip the woman that borne two of his
> blood children........

Back in those days though, there were many that beat their own wives for
whatever reason, so I guess it doesn't surprise me too much. A line from
"The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara sticks out..."Have the
good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband...and until he can
hit you back."

A distant cousin from my TYNER and CRUMP lines is a director at a LDS
library down south and she said to keep in mind that women were "chattel"
(hope I spelled it right) and that there was always a man overseeing the
estate when the hubby/father died. He was normally appointed guardian of
the children and had more rights than their own mother. Which I wonder
about with my William HOLLAND, as I believe his father died while he was
still a toddler.

It is absolutely amazing though that they would still consider them good
masters.... but I guess there were alot worse circumstances elsewhere that
they heard of, like "the plantation next door", so they just considered
themselves fortunate. I'm not surprised either that many of the white
relations wouldn't want to admit to any liasions with the slaves, but the
descendants of those slaves would and would know all the details. There are
those in my family today who don't care to admit the Indian blood, much less
anything else I might find....

The search goes on....

Di

This thread: