From: "Arrington, Charlotte" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Book Slaves in the Family
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:39:21 -0900

I am reading a very good book of a woman's genealogical quest for her
roots. It is entitled, "The Sweeter the Juice, a Family Memoir in
Black and Whte," by Shirlee Taylor Haizlip, a graduate of Wellesley
College and Harvard University. Her roots are Black, White and
Indian (her words in case this is not acceptable to anybody). She
traces her roots back to Martha Washington and part of her family
became white while others remained Black, causing her much grief and a
longing to find out "who she was." I recommend it highly. She had
much luck in finding her relatives I guess because they were so
prominent and she was in a good position to travel and find out stuff.
It reads as a novel but is pure genealogy!

Charlotte