From: Jean Mayfield Cuevas <>
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] A Matter of Concern
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:10:54 -0500

Dear List Members,

There is something that I must address before all of you, and to me it's
very important. As many of you have observed, we have been free on this
list to share our faith along with our genealogy, but not to make it an
issue with anyone, because although many of us on the list are Christians,
there are some who are of other faiths.

It has come to my attention that someone has written one of our members,
asking her NOT to continue to talk about her faith, and I don't know who
wrote the message, and I really don't want to, because I want ALL of us to
hang in here together...because we ARE family, and each person IS important.

For the person who was reproached, I will say that she is free to continue
as she has been from the beginning, because her faith is a part of who she
is. And, with her health problems, she NEEDS to be able to lean on her
faith, because in the end, without that faith, we are without hope.

For the person who sent the message to her, I can understand that if you
are not used to being around folks who share their faith, you might feel
uneasy. I don't believe you will find anyone on this list trying to shove
their faith down your throat. I have read every post that ever has come to
this list, and find that folks balance their genealogy and their
Christianity, and don't try to make an issue with anyone.

I don't want anyone hurt on this list. It's my obligation as List Owner
to see that we are all treated with dignity,and so I must ask that if
anyone has comments in the future, please don't send them to someone
off-list. Send them to me, instead. The person who received the message
was not the person who told me about it. As a matter of fact, the person
who received the criticism hasn't written me at all. She just quietly
mentioned to someone else that she might remove herself from the list.

As I said, I don't want to know who sent the message. I just want us to
all work together for the common good of all, and when the list can no
longer have any mention of Christianity on it, I will be gone!

Jean Cuevas

This thread: