From: Jean Mayfield Cuevas <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] WHAT TOWNS WERE YOUR FAMILIES IN??
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:18:20 -0500

Hi Chris,

I have township maps which were contributed to me by a cousin. I am not
sure of the date on them. I did check Union Twp, Izard County, but found
no "Benbrook Mill", although I know I can't seem to locate it.

I used to think that townships just meant towns, and then some good folks
enlightened me! Townships could cover a number of towns, if I understood
the explanation correctly. If there's another explanation for what exactly
a "Township" was, would you share that information with us?
I am still learning, too!

As a matter of fact, I will list the towns shown on this map under Union
Twp. I have a feeling that Benbrook Mill was perhaps just a little post
office somewhere.....let me see. No, my History of Izard County book by
Karr Shannon doesn't show it in the contents page. If I come across it at
some point, I will let you know. Not sure what "Benbrook Mill" was, unless
it was just that! Now, if it was just a reference to Benbrook's Mill, then
perhaps it was referring to the area right around it.

Here's an excerpt from something written about the LANGSTONS and BENBROOKS:

"I will return to the Benbrooks. Elbert and Henry they emmigrated to Izard
County, in the year 1834 from Illinois. They followed farming and stock
raising for several years, and then they went into the mill
business. Elbert went to milling several years before his brother did, and
then they both got concerned together. They were energetic men; they
bought and built three mills. Two of them were grist mills. One of them
was built on Piney and is running yet; it is four miles from the mouth of
said creek."

Here are the towns shown in Union Twp:

Boon
Garner
Smackover
Van Buren
Norphlet
El Dorado
Cornie
Tubal
Wesson
Henderson
Junction City
Jackson
Johnson
Strong
Lapile
Felsental
Huttig
Harrison
Wilmington
Franklin
Calion

If I am mistaken and these are something other than towns under Union Twp,
please feel free to correct me!

Jean Cuevas