From: Jean Mayfield Cuevas <>
Subject: RE: [ARIZARD-L] Jeffery
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 05:59:47 -0400

Hi Robert, Rosemary and All,

I'm sorry, I thought about it after sending you the information that I
hadn't quoted my sources! Things being so hectic lately, I have been
flying in and out of the house, and can't seem to stablize yet!

I have a warm feeling when I see the DIXON name, because they connected to
the JEFFERY family, and in a 24 or so page summary by Owen H. DIXON in
1938, he does the most wonderful summary of the JEFFERY family and the life
and times around Mt. Olive. Do you know how your Matthew relates to Owen
DIXON?

The quote that you are referring to, concerning Jehoida JEFFERY I will
paste below for all to read:

Veteran of the 1812 War. (Cavalryman) Arrived on the banks of the White
River On Sept 10, 1816. With Mary and three of their children:

Elijah, Jane and Miles. Jane (two yrs) died after the trip.

"He left Southern Illinois in the fall of 1815 with considerable stock of
cattle and horses, to make a permanent home on White River, where he landed
and settled at his old residence two miles above Mt. Olive, on the 10th of
September 1816, and remained here during his life; his family were
Virginians, of English parentage. Pioneers for a short time in east
Tennessee, western Kentucky, southern Illinois, and finally on White River,
he was a soldier of the war of 1812, in the service against the Indians
between the Missouri river and the upper Mississippi river, and in a woods
fight with the Indians called the Battle of Sink Hole. He encountered a
Sioux warrior singled handed and killed and scalped him and brought his
scalp to White River with him. He was a member of the Territorial
Legislature from Independence Co., about the year 1824, and brought forward
a bill to divide the county and create a new Co., called, Izard, in honor
of the then acting Governor; in after years he was a member from Izard
County and brought forward a similar bill to divide the county into a new
county called Fulton, in honor of the then acting Governor. He was a
number of years, perhaps a dozen years, judge of the county. Judge Jeffery
died at his residence on White River in 1846.

I am still digging through my mass of paperwork to find the exact article
on Jehoida and family. I will eventually find it, and give you the
source...either early Izard County Historian Publications or Judge Samms'
writings, I would believe.

I did come across some further information which might be interesting
concerning Jehoiada:

It was an article entitled, The Early Jefferys of North Central Arkansas
1816-1850, by Duane Huddleston, 201 East "B" Street, North Little Rock,
Ark. 72116, and published in the January 1972 issue of the Izard County
Historian:

"Many of the early pioneer families of North Central Arkansas were related,
but because of differences in the spelling of names and the lack of
available records, it is sometimes difficult to establish the exact
kinships. For example, Jehoiada Jeffery's younger sister, Lavina was
married to Thomas Culp, who was related to Abraham Ruddell's wife, Mary
Culp..probably a brother. When Abraham Ruddell died, Thomas Culp was one
of the administrators of his estate, but the documents do not show whether
or not they were brothers-in-law.

After their marriage, Jehoiada and Mary Jeffery lived near Jonesboro, in
Union County, Illinois, where their first child Elijah, as born on October
16, 1811, and their second, Jane, on February 8, 1814. The young family
was prospering, with Jehoiada becoming established in farming, when his
vocation was interrupted by the War of 1812.

Some say that Jehoiada Jeffery entered the army in 1812, at the age of 22,
and served until discharged in June of 1815, which may be true, but his
printed obituary simply states "The deceased, during the Isat War, served
his country diligently, as a volunteer, for twelve months, and acquitted
himself honorably. Perhaps he participated in the Indian warfare for
several months before joining the army?

Jehoiada's military service was in a company of mounted rangers commanded
by Peter Craig, of Cape Girardeau County, and attached to Col. William
Russell's regiment. Recruited in May and June of 1814 for 12 months duty
on the frontiers of Missouri and Illinois, the company was sworn into
service on July 12, 1814. The officers were: Peter Craig, captain;
Drakeford Gray, 1st Lt.; Wilson Able, 2nd Lt.; Edward Spear 3rd Lt.; and
John Giles, ensign. The non-coms included John Rodney, Enos Randol, Daniel
Harkelrood, William Fugate, and William Blakney, sergeants; Abraham Lott,
Perry W. Wheat, Jeremiah Able, William McCarty, Charles Sexton, and Thomas
S. Rodney, Corporals. Listed among the privates were Jehoiada Jeffery and
other such familiar names as James Atkinson, John Able, Stephen Byrd,
Johnathan Brickey, William Crump, Elias Davis, Benjamin Hail, Thomas Hail,
James Massey, John Langston, William Martin, and Joshua Simpson.

Captain Craig's company performed much hazardous service in defense of the
frontier, but is best remembered for the Battle of Sink Hole. Although
classified as mounted rangers most of the fighting was on foot, Indian
style, the horses being used primarily for mobility. Apparently Jehoiada
Jeffery participated in all of the company's expeditions, including the
Battle of the Sink Hole, fought in what is now Lincoln County, near Cap au
Gris, on May 24, 1814"

The article goes into much more detail about the Battle of Sink Hole, but I
am leaving it to continue with Jehoiada's personal history.

"The battle was over, but at least one ranger had a gory trophy of
war..Jehoiada Jeffery reportedly had been locked in mortal, hand to hand
combat with one of the Indians and emerged with his bloody scalp. Dale
Hanks, a descendant of Jehoiada's, writes that the scalp was brought by his
ancestor to the White River Valley and was a constant reminder to the
unruly Indians of the area that Jehoiada Jeffery was a man to be respected."

"A few months after his discharge in June of 1815, Jehoiada and his family
left Southern Illinois on a journey which eventually terminated in what is
now Izard County, Arkansas. The family traveled by pack horses, and while
enroute, a third child, Miles, was born on April 13, 1816. Data from the
Jeffery Historical Society reveals that the small caravan left Illinois in
the autumn months of 1815, but did not reach their destination on White
River until September 10, 1816, consequently, the trip may have been made
in two stages--the family first came to his father's home, or to that of
Jesse Jeffery's, where they remained until after Miles was born, then
completed the trip.

It was autumn when Jehoiada and Mary Jeffery reached their home site on
White River, and they immediately started building a house to shelter the
family from the coming winter snow and sleet."

There continues a description of the type of log dwelling that Jehoiada
built, given by Dale Hanks, and a listing of the settlers who were there
prior to Jehoiada's arrival, should anyone be interested.

Hope I haven't put you all to sleep! :-)

Jean Cuevas

At 09:00 AM 4/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Rosemary!
>
>I am not a descendent of the original Jehoida Jeffery (By the way, I've only
>seen "Jehoida" as the spelling of this gentleman's name until I got your
>note.). Dora Alice Dixon, born 1872, was the great-granddaughter of Matthew
>Dixon, who settled in Izard County in the late 1840's or early 1850's. Dora
>married Miles Ewing Jeffery, born 1871. In addition to the Jeffery surname,
>her grandchildren carried the Hayden, Hanks, McKinley and Stair surnames.
>Dora is not an ancestor of mine, although I am descended from Matthew Dixon.
>According to my Family Tree Maker program, Dora is my second cousin, three
>times removed. So I suppose I can say that in a fashion, I am related to the
>Jeffery family through marriage although not descended from them.
>
>With respect to when Jehoida Jeffery arrived in Mount Olive, in a private
>communication from Jean Mayfield Cuevas, she told me that he was born in
>Virginia in 1790. He was a veteran of the War of 1812, having served in the
>cavalry against the Indians between the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers
>(present day Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin). During the war, he
>encountered a Sioux warrior and in a single handed combat, killed and
>scalped him. He brought the scalp with him to the White River.

<snip>

This thread: