ARDALLAS-L Archives

Archiver > ARDALLAS > 2003-07 > 1058968891

From: "J Cramer" <>
Subject: [ARDALLAS] Ross
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:01:31 -0400

The response from this site is terrific! I am always comforted to know that there are many people like myself out there, obsessed with "finding out". Thanks to all for info. Now...........Francis and Elizabeth Eveline Hood Ross were born in Chester Co., SC, and after the Civil War migrated to AR. abt. 1869. They are buried in Hampton Springs Dallas Co AR. For anyone researching this Ross family or Hood family, I have records, wills, estate paper's, going back to Francis Ross's grandfather Hugh Ross in 1772 when he came to SC from Ireland. A Scots/Irish Presbyterian, he was granted 400 acres in Craven Dist., SC. It is recorded in the Council Journals of that period. I am hoping, and trying, to find him on an AR census. Joining Ancestry.com is something I have considered and glad to hear you think it is worth the money! I find the rootsweb and genealogy.com message boards absolutely invaluable, but find Family Search/LDS site to have many more mistakes !
and over sights. ARGenweb site is great too!

I have read the Goodspeed accounting of William Ross in Lincoln, Co. There is another publication called the History Of Lincoln County, written I think in the 1950's. There is a write-up on Francis Ross, Wm. Ross and other later Ross's. Anyone know about that or how to get a copy? Well, looks like I have more hunting to do. I am off to Drew Co, at least my fingers are. Thanks again.
Franki

This thread: