ARBAXTER-L Archives

Archiver > ARBAXTER > 2005-02 > 1107840919

From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARBAXTER] Wilbur, Grant, Denton and Smith - Mary
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:35:31 -0600

Oh goodness, Mary!

Do I wish that I had my files. I am not sure that I had ever told you -
but, I was contacted a few years ago from a descendant of Ira Wilber's -
from his second family................following his divorce from Dora and
after his acquittal of the double murders of Ellen Cockrum and Mae Cockrum
Smith.

The gentleman was able to update me on Ira' life and a bit more on Dora's.
You are correct, if my memory serves me - that Dora Grant was raised by an
aunt and uncle.

I did not however remember, and for that matter might not have ever known
that her mother was a Taylor. Interesting.

Now,this John R. Smith is connected to my Dentons and MAYBE connected to my
Thomas J. Smith. The widowed mother of John R. Smith; with John and other
Smith children - is enumerated in the 1880 census in Baxter Co. I want to
say that John's mother was named Mary. But, living right next door to Mary
Smith is a family and living in this household is who I believe to be my
fourteen year old Thomas J. Smith!

Michael Condardo of the Izard List backtracked this Mary Smith in the 1870
census and my Thomas J. Smith; who was born in 1866 supposedly - was not
listed as a child in the home. It very well could be that he was a first
cousin or something like that?

I'll see if I can find that 1870 Smith census and tell you who the gentleman
is that headed the household. But, it appears that he was deceased by 1880.

I can give you so much more information on the Dora Grant family, I believe
and that of Ira Wilber, also - but, I will not be where my files are in
Phoenix until mid-March unfortunately.

As far as I know, you are correct with this:

Jonas Denton > Benjamin Franklin > Jonathan

But, I do not have a father or lineage and this after searching for almost
ten years for the George W. and Jonathan Denton line from Izard and Fulton
Cos. I am quite sure that there is a connection - I just have danced all
around them and can't find it.

The problem is that George and Jonathan are listed with a widowed mother
named Eliza (born in KY) in the 1850 Izard Co. census. Also with them is a
sister named Catherine Elizabeth. By 1860 George is newly married to one of
your folks and with them in the home is sister; Catherine Elizabeth. The
brother named Jonathan; whom Langston researchers say is my direct; is
living in the home of his brother's in-laws - also your folks.

There is one other Denton family in Izard Co. in 1850 and it is headed by a
widow, also. Jane Denton is enumerated with sons; James and John and a
daughter named Martha. This particular Denton family I am quite sure were
full bloods.

Jane Denton is remarried by 1860 to an Elijah Smith; but is again widowed.
She has in her home; the two Dentons sons; James and John and two sons that
are enumerated as Dentons - but am pretty sure are Smith sons and their
names are Robert and Samuel. In this Jane Denton Smith household is living
my ggrandmother; Rebecca Jane Denton Blankinship and she is listed as one
year of age.

So, is George W. Denton connected to the Marion Co. Dentons? I am sure that
he is - but kid - I can't find out where, yet.

Any ideas?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

"Swaying palms in paradise........"