APPALACHIAN-LIFE-L Archives

Archiver > APPALACHIAN-LIFE > 2001-07 > 0994730686

Subject: Re: [AppalLife] Unions in Appalachian
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:04:46 EDT

My grandfather worked his entire life in the mines in WV. My brother in law
works there now. My father drove a coal truck for about twenty years after
the sawmill that his father had shut down. Unions are still a touchy subject
I reckon. I have seen the bad and the good side too. I would hate to have
to crawl in a hole to feed my family. It is such a hard life. So many men
have lost their lives. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't trust the
companies to provide safe working conditions without some type of
supervision. Then on the other hand anytime you have big business, and that
is exactly what the union is these days, you can have corruption. Right up
the holler where I was raised there is a mines. I have seen strikes many
times. I am not against the unions by no means. But I will tell y'all this.
The union has it's faults too. Ok, I will hush up now. Just have to vent
ever now and then.

Jennifer

This thread: