APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-07 > 1248275982

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] APG Digest, Vol 4, Issue 442
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:19:42 -0400

James is right, at least from own experience as well. Clients come in all
sorts of stripes and skill levels. One of my clients does NOT want me
writing narrative reports, just report summaries of one leg of the
research, with analysis if I so choose. I am careful to document each
source in memo form. However, she then goes off on her own and may do all
sorts of research via the computer (she is house-bound) and then come back
to me "don't you remember when you found...." No, I don't remember
anything, actually. She is the one who has connected all the dots, not me.
I am just basically sending her raw material with comments. She has been a
long-term client and I have even visited her personally. Yes, a genealogist
who makes house calls!

Another client engaged me for an extremely in depth family genealogy. At a
certain point, the whole thing was stopped. Two years later, the client is
back wanting to resume where we left off. In her case, she had insisted on
a narrative report from the beginning, which took twice as long as just
doing the research. But thank God we did that, because I would clueless
without that report in hand now.

Larry, if I were you I'd stress the importance of having a document that
will ultimatley (hopefully) be shared with others and read my unknown
hundreds of researchers down the road. What good will it be if nothing in
it is sourced? You might tell him that if he insists on this type of
product, you will have to make mention of that in your introduction...in
other words it is his fault, not yours. I'd be uncomfortable with sort of
arrangement.

Best, Craig

Message: 3