APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-07 > 1247045039

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Social Security numbers
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 05:23:59 -0400

You make it sound so easy, Rondina.

Let's suppose for an instant that some clever gal hacked into your insurance
company database and among the records she came away with was your name an
address and, ah, yes, those last four digits of your Social Security number.

Let's further say that this clever hacker is now about to really demonstrate
how clever she is: She is going to write an algorithm which will tell her
the first five digits of your Social Security number.

Tell you what. I'll even throw in something you didn't mention. Your birth
record.

Now, first how is our crook going to know that the birth record is for the
same person for whom she has the four digits - unless she is your niece and
knows your maiden name and where you were born and possibly when. But even
if she knows all of that she still would have to know exactly when and where
you got your Social Security number in order to get the rest of the numbers.

Everyone gives crooks so much credit. In fact, they are endowed with such
brilliance when it comes to figuring out things like Social Security numbers
that I once wrote an article entitled "One More Reason I Would Make a Lousy
Crook." I was lamenting the fact that a California Senator had pointed out
that if the California Birth Index was left on line the identity theft
crooks would have a field day. And I was stuck wondering how in the hell a
crook knew that Judy Kronsnable, born in San Jose, was now the wife of
Casper Littleguy and living in South Carolina. Under his name. These crooks
are really clever. (See ttp://www.pipeline.com/~richardpence/crook.htm)

Richard P.