APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239887991

From: "LBoswell" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Norway
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:19:51 -0400

Thanks for this, gives me a clear picture. So the emigration records at the
parish level mirror similar records in Brit and Irish records, with the
added level (eventually) of the records created by the police. I've become
very partial to the police reports. In one case I was having problems
matching a couple who appears in the 1911 Canadian census, and the police
record for the wife listed an address that matched her husband's family in
the 1900 Norwegian census, plus gave her farm name and exact date of birth
which in turn matched her family in the same census, plus a baptism record
(backed up by other records). Few records offer that level of correlation
within one document.

It isn't necessary to try to understand why a record was created, but I
think it's an important exercise, one that also often opens doors to other
records.. Also a factor in weighting the record as to its value as a piece
of evidence.

The Norwegian parish record version is similar then to the settlement laws
in Britain, that also (as Richard points out) were later established in New
England too. You don't find it in Upper Canada in the same period (circa
1800) for various reasons.

Just a clarification though about 'warnings out'. People didn't necessarily
have to leave the area after being 'warned out' in the period after 1800 and
up to the 1820s when the relevant laws largely became ignored or phased out
in New England. So if you see someone on a list, consider that they're
still in the area. Warnings out at that point were more intended to say to
the individual "don't expect help here if you fall on hard times." Some of
these records have been compiled into indexes and published. Vermont's, for
example.

There may not have been 'official churches' in the period after the Rev War,
but there were definitely churches that were more officially favoured than
others. That was one factor that drove religious-based emigration north
into Canada, where there were some glimmerings of greater religious freedom
beginning to appear in changes to the law (and a tendency to turn a blind
eye).

You also see a lot of warnings issued for people who had earlier moved to
Upper or Lower Canada, and then returned to the US during the War of 1812.
Besides the fact that the poor sods weren't welcome on either side of the
border, they often left Canada with what they could carry (up to 1/3 of
some Canadian militias deserted during that war, a testimony to the fact
that many Americans came north less out of loyalty to the Brit Crown and
more to acquire cheaper property).

No thoughts on the given name question. I came across some information that
suggested middle names were banned in the Norwegian 1923 (?) law to prevent
people from continuing to slip in farm or patronymic names.

I find the Norwegian patronymic system isn't as difficult to wade through
(generation to generation) as I had first expected. It's very logical in
many way. I have some experience with Welsh research, so that helps. One
thing I have noticed is that Norwegian emigrants seem to be very accurate in
the birth dates/years that they have recorded in later land and census
records. More so than their Brit counterparts. I'm in danger of being
lulled into complacency when dealing with census entries for Norwegian
emigrants. But very consistent across many examples to date. Maybe because
that knowledge was required for things like the police records.

Larry