APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239832369

From: Rondina Muncy <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Norway
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:52:49 -0500

Larry,

My research in Norway has been confined to Hedemarken---a rural area. The
parish registers are the primary source of material including the emigration
and immigration records for local residents in the 19th century. It sounds
as if the police records of this sort may be the urban equivalent. There are
some more knowledgeable Norwegian researchers on the list, however.

Rondina
--
________________________
Rondina P. Muncy

www.ancestralanalysis.com

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM, LBoswell <> wrote:

> List is quiet today, so thought it a good time to see if anyone can answer
> couple of questions regarding Norwegian records. I've been increasingly
> using Norwegian databases because some of my areas of interest have high
> Scandinavian immigrant immigrants. For years I've used Norwegian
> researchers, but a lot of the knowledge needed has rubbed off on me, and
> I'm
> familiar enough to do most of the Norwegian work myself.
>
> Police reports on emigrants are an incredible resource, more than a few
> times they've tied down a connection. Why did Norwegian emigrants need to
> report their departure in this manner? Always helps to know why a record
> was
> made.
>
> 2nd question: More often now I'm seeing baptisms with what would be
> considered given and middlenames, that later are used in reverse (I'm not
> talking about patronymic surnames, farm names, or the like). One of my
> Norwegian sources explains that middlenames aren't used in the usual
> fashion, each of the names has the full status that we (England, North
> America) would assign to the given name. I know there is a Norwegian law
> concerning names (1923) but the period I'm referencing above starts 1870s
> and forward (about the time patronymic names are being phased out).
>
> Anyone?
>
> Larry
>

> .

This thread: