APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239829984

Subject: Re: [APG] Norway
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:13:04 -0400

I'm not a Norwegian expert (so no one should this to the bank), but I have done a fair amount of research in Norwegian parish records.  I don't think the stated reasons for the inflytting (moving in) and utflytting (moving out) records hold water.  Both Swedish and Norwegian church records routinely recorded people (not just tramps and gypsies) leaving and arriving in parishes.  As for name changes, I have found many cases of Norwegian names shifting for odd reasons.  Perhaps others on the list can tell us more about the history of the inflytting and utflytting records.

Jay Fonkert, CG
St. Paul, MN