APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239829219

From: "Liv Marit Haakenstad" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Norway
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:00:19 +0200

Hi,

I will try to explain it. In Norway it was illegal to be a tramp, and later
on they also wanted to control the gypsies (from the end of 1900). Wherefore
they started controlling everybody. It was also a difference between the
poor people. The persons who wanted to be homeless and lazy, and the ones
who didn't. They tried to control this laws by watching people when they
moved. So they got a paper from the vicar when moving to another place.
Those who got this paper was also listed in the church record under moving
in and out of the parish (1805 to ca. 1860).

The Emigrant Protocols was started in 1869, after a several reports to the
consul in New York about swindle, specially in Liverpool. After 1869 all
Norwegians had a ticket all the way from their home in Norway to their
destination in US. And this was registrated in the Emigration Protocols.

Best regards,
Liv Marit Haakenstad