APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239743970

Subject: Re: [APG] Nicknames
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:19:30 EDT

One thing about nicknames is that you can never say NEVER...nicknames can
stem from family issues we know nothing about. I have a Quaker ancestor
whose name was Silence and she became "Selena" in later records...maybe she
just couldn't remain silent? <g> I even found one of my ancestors' wives
listed originally as Maria but her tombstone lists her name as Susannah.
Perhaps she was Maria Susannah--but the family was Quaker (French Huguenots
originally) and the Quakers at this time generally didn't use the baptismal
names that you often see with the Germans and French.

One family I researched (not my own ancestors) I found a deed that
mentions a man named Daniel "formerly known as Benjamin." Now I'd LOVE to know the
explanation for that one. Why on earth did Daniel suddenly become
Benjamin? Thank heaven for the deed because it enabled me to link Daniel to
Benjamin!

Joan

In a message dated 4/14/2009 5:11:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,