APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-02 > 1234798837

From: "Peggy Baldwin at Family Passages" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Working in Archives - Blog series
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:40:37 -0800

That's a very good point that it has to do with the "triviality of our
pursuits." I quite love your turn of words. But, I also think that there is
also the fact that for many genealogy is a casual hobby, and they come into
an archives not knowing how to use or what to expect. The more that we
express to the casual hobbiest the value of educating themselves, the less
of that we will see.

Dress also makes a difference. I talked to a genealogist the other day who
said that she would like to be a professional genealogist, because she could
dress the way she was dressed that day; in a worn white sweat shirt and
jeans. I suggested that if she was professional she would need to dress much
more like she was going to the office, but dress just the way she was
dressed if she were working at home, if she wanted to be taken seriously and
get the kind of service she needed.

I am a medical librarian during the day, and we had one particular
pharmaceutical representative who used our library. He was the only one I
ever met who dressed like a doctor - slacks and a sports jacket. All of the
other male representative dressed in three piece suits, automatically
showing that they were pharmaceutical reps. It was actually quite a while
before I realized that he was not a doctor. I'll bet the doctors felt more
comfortable with him, and may not have even known why.

Peggy

Peggy Baldwin, MLS
Family Passages LLC
www.family-passages.com