APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-02 > 1234667302

From: Debbie Parker Wayne <>
Subject: [APG] Working in Archives - Blog series
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:08:22 -0600

The Legal History Blog has an interesting series of articles written by
Emily E. Kadens, JD, of the University of Texas School of Law. She has
some great tips on using archives and transcribing documents. Some of
the tips have been covered in genealogical institutes and conference
sessions I have attended, but some of them were new to me. I recommend
this series to all genealogists who want to do professional level work
in archives. I can't wait to read the rest of her series.

I have to admit I was a little taken aback by the two comments she makes
specifically related to genealogists. This just brings home the point
that has often been made on this list about how we all need to act
professionally and improve the image many have of genealogists. But I do
wonder, no matter how well we present ourselves, how long will it take
to get past the idea that we just "give the impression" of knowing what
we are doing--as opposed to the REAL researchers who know what they are
doing?

http://legalhistoryblog.blogspot.com/ - Legal History Blog

http://legalhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/working-in-archives-2-advanced.html
-
Working in Archives #2: advanced preparation

"Archives these days are so full of people doing genealogical research
that archivists are often rather relieved to get a request that does not
have to do with family history research, and they might be more inclined
to be helpful."

http://legalhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/working-in-archives-3-using-archive.html
Working in Archives #3: Using the archive

"In addition, going to an archive for the first time can be very
intimidating. There are likely to be a bunch of people there doing
genealogical research or local history, who all know each other, and who
all give the impression of knowing a great deal about what they are doing."

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/