APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229891218

From: "Joel S. Russell" <>
Subject: [APG] Middle name Brin(n)?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:26:58 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to work through a brick wall and wonder if I've had a clue
staring me in the face. I've done quite a bit of research in coastal
NC during the colonial period. It is quite unusual to come across
anyone using a middle name. I'm currently researching a man who
consistently referred to as George Brinn (or Brin) Harris. Does
anyone have any suggestions why he would include the name Brinn as a
'middle' name? He lived from approx 1725 until at least 1804, living
for the majority of that time in Carteret County, NC. There are no
other George Harris's in the area until his son so it doesn't appear
to be included to differentiate him from another man. None of his
children appear in any records with a middle name, not even a middle
initial. It is said he may have been Welsh and was from
Viriginia. He appears to have been a Quaker, at least for a
time. Many of his children attended the local Monthly Meeting House,
but many later were disowned. It has been suggested to me that Brinn
was really Bryn. Am I swinging at the wind or is there a clue
staring me in the face?

Thanks!

Joel
http://www.rafert.org/home