APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229283273

From: "Cheryl Rothwell" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Lincoln's Mother Nancy Hanks
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:34:33 -0600

When Lincoln came to Illinois he was 21. He was not looking to practice law
at the time. Springfield was only founded in 1821, was not large in 1830 and
did not become the state capital until 1839 by a vote of the people of the
state. When the Lincoln family moved to Illinois it still called Calhoun,
not Springfield.

The Lincoln family went from Hardin County, Kentucky, to Perry nka Spencer
County, Indiana, where Nancy Hanks died. The Lincolns spent about 14 years
there before moving on to Macon County where Nancy Hanks' family lived.
There could have been a group of 10 wagons in that leg of the migration and
it could have passed through Glenarm. Somewhere there is a map of their
route but I don't have it at the moment.

They settled on the Sangamon River near what is now Harristown but the first
winter was one of the worst in Illinois history and they decided not to
stay. The family went to Coles County where they did buy a farm and they
stayed. I don't know what about Coles County appealed. It's pretty much like
Macon or Sangamon or any of the central Illinois counties. Over the years
they bought four "farms." Lincoln was an adult and did not go with the
family. He made his second trip to New Orleans and came back to Illinois,
settling in New Salem [Menard County] and eventually in Springfield
[Sangamon County].

I'd contact that guy and have him contact the Illinois Historic Preservation
Agency which would handle such things. They also oversee the Abraham Lincoln
Presidential Library which is, among other things, the state's chief
genealogical research facility [self designated].

Cheryl Rothwell