APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229158921

From: Craig Kilby <>
Subject: [APG] Lincoln's Mother Nancy Hanks
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:02:41 -0500

I hesitate to post this for fear of further mucking up the waters.

My grandmother was a BROWNFIELD and in search of her very elusive
roots, it was brought to my attention (and I am not about to vouch
for this) that Abraham Lincoln was born while his mother living on
the farm of one George Brownfield. There was at that time (1980s) a
theory (underline theory) that this George Brownfield MAY have been
the natural father of Abraham Lincoln. The theory was not based on
any wishful thinking, but on the genetic incidence of Marpans (sp?)
syndrome in this line of the Brownfields, and that many historians
have suggested that Lincoln himself suffered from this same disease.
I merely throw this out as yet one more possibility.

I also notice that at the Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library in
Lancaster County, VA we have 4 books on the Hanks family, one of
which specifically is about Abraham Lincoln. See

http://www.mbwm.org/

And from home page go to search catalogue and type in HANKS in the
search box.

These may be waters already treaded, but I am willing to put my oars
in the water at least as far as what little information I am able to
easily obtain. My dog is not really in this fight.

Craig Kilby

This thread: