APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1197489809

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] WIKIPEDIA vs "The Good Old Days" and Use of encyclopediasasa source
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:04:13 -0600

Tom Tinney wrote:
>Please note:
The Genealogical Proof Standard
http://www.bcgcertification.org/resources/standard.html
"Acceptable conclusions, therefore,
meet the Genealogical Proof Standard
(GPS). The GPS consists of five elements:"
FIRST LISTED:
"a reasonably exhaustive search"

>A reasonably exhaustive search
must now include WIKIPEDIA, because:
(1) According to Alexa, it is Global #8

Tom, does this interpretation mean that "a reasonably exhaustive search"
must also include Myspace, Facebook, YouTube, and the other four sites that
outrank Wikipedia on Alexa?

BCG's definition of "a reasonably exhaustive search" is grounded--first and
foremost--in quality and appropriateness.

Speaking personally, here, while I frequently hit my Wikipedia hotlink, for
subjects of more-casual interest, I have not encountered a situation in
which the use of Wikipedia was critical to any genealogical conclusion I
have reached on the basis of the Genealogical Proof Standard. Would you give
us an example from your own experience? Or, perhaps, someone else on the
list can offer an example?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG

This thread: