APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-12 > 1197136015

From: Debbie Parker Wayne <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Accreditation - Retry
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:46:55 -0600

Jeanette Daniels wrote on 12/8/2007 9:21 AM:

> ... Why discuss anything about
your program when so little is known about it.
There are very few people on this list that have
no education. I would suggest that your
advertising be directed to those with no degrees
or those who are looking for a second career.

I see this was directed at Carolyn but I do wonder - how we are to learn
more about the Akamai program if it isn't discussed? And this list seems
the logical place to discuss it. I am also open to learning more about your
program at Heritage Genealogical College. I have visited the Web site but
your offering hasn't been dissected on this list and in private exchanges
like Akamai's has.

> The difference between how one person with a
Ph.D is viewed over another isn't because of the
degree, but how that person presents himself.
How you present yourself and your views makes a
definite impression about what you are trying to convey.

I would like to emphasize that the impression conveyed by Carolyn and
LaWanna, based on personal exchanges and exchanges on this list, are
exactly what led me to believe I should give Akamai a try. Even when the
phrasing used required some clarification I liked the responses,
explanations, and actions that I saw.

I may not be considered completely unbiased now that I have enrolled in one
course at Akamai but I plan to carefully evaluate the course and the
experience to determine if this is a good use of my education budget. I
hope others do the same. This may turn out to be a bad decision but then, I
didn't know whether IGHR would be worthwhile until after the first time I
went. Now I tell everyone it is the best bang for the buck in genealogical
education. NIGR and other courses may tie with IGHR but I can't speak for
those since I haven't attended yet. (Keeping my fingers crossed hoping I
get into NIGR in 2008.)

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne