APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-06 > 1182796806

From: "Karen J Matheson" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] E: WWI Service records
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:40:06 -0500

I was told by the St. Louis office that my grandfather's WWI service records
were part of those burned. Years after I initially started searching and
asking for them, the FHL microfilmed discharge records that were kept on a
county level !! Filed by a clerk in Morgan County, Alabama, my
grandfather's discharge papers gave me a unit number, type of service, dates
of service, battles/campaigns, and medals received. I have yet to contact
the federal government again, but I am hopeful that with this information
they will be able to locate more records for me.

Perhaps other counties have similar discharge papers recorded "at home," on
the local level.

Karen J. Matheson
Austin, Texas

This thread: