APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1170271783

Subject: [APG] Early Methodist who went over to the Mormon Church
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:29:43 +0000

Does anyone know of any works that deal with Methodists (ca.1820's-1830's) who left their church and joined the Latter Day Saints? I am particulary interested in Methodists from the the "Burnt Over District" of Western New York State, and in particular the old Genesee Conference of the Methodist Church, which was fairly far reaching. I know that Brigham Young's family & Joe Smith's family, were Methodist, and some of the early pioneers of the Mormons were Methodist, but is there a list out there that shows the denomination background of the group of folks that left New York to go to Kirtland, Ohio. I am most interested in the 1820's and 1830's. Besides Brigham Young's brother Phineas, were there other Methodist preachers that left their church and converted to Mormonism at the early period?

Ken Milano
--
www.kennethwmilano.com

This thread: