APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168988414

Subject: Re: [APG] Why we don't find everyone in the Social Security DeathIndex
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:00:14 EST

In a message dated 1/16/2007 5:46:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

There was an act passed at some point (I don't recall when) that provided
minimal payments to people who were born during a certain period and never paid
FICA. We called them Prouty benefits after the main sponsor of the bill.

Ida-

No--not exactly. The Prouty Amendment provided benefits for people who were
not FULLY INSURED under SS (i.e. didn't have 40 quarters of coverage) but
who attained age 72 before 1968 and had 3 quarters of coverage in each calendar
year after 1966 and before 1968 (which by my rough calculation means 3 QCs
in 1967). Whew! That's an obscure bit is SS history for sure! <g>

Joan

This thread: