APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168835636

From: "Jean R. Legried" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Why we don't find everyone in the Social SecurityDeathIndex
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:34:02 -0600

At 09:29 PM 1/14/2007, Richard A. Pence wrote:

>Jean:
>
>Whether a person applies for or receives SS benefits has no bearing
>on his/her name appearing in the SSDI. I'll repeat:
>
>There are only these four conditions that must be met for a name to
>appear in the SSDI.
>
>1. The person must be deceased (although some living persons
>sometimes mistakenly are listed).

She died 13 January 2005.

>2. The person must have had a Social Security number.

She had one.

>3. Someone - anyone - must have reported the death to the SS Administration.

The funeral home reported her death to SS and I received the
death benefit check.

>4. A Social Security Administration employee must have correctly
>entered the name in the SSA's computerized database.

I have searched under he name, birth and death dates, and
her SS # -- all with negative results.

>There seem not to be any policies or rules besides the above.
>
> From what information you gave, I would surmised that (a) your
> mother applied for and received her Social Security card while in
> another jurisdiction and (b) either her death was not reported to
> SSA or someone there overlooked it.
>
>One other possibility is that she is entered in the database, but
>the entry is incorrect and thus the entry can' be easily found.
>Would you care to provide her name and SS number so this possibility
>could be checked by the curious?

I'll send it to you off list tomorrow, Richard, but I think
I have covered all possibilities.

Jean