APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168831777

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Why we don't find everyone in the Social SecurityDeathIndex
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:29:37 -0500

Jean:

Whether a person applies for or receives SS benefits has no bearing on
his/her name appearing in the SSDI. I'll repeat:

There are only these four conditions that must be met for a name to appear
in the SSDI.

1. The person must be deceased (although some living persons sometimes
mistakenly are listed).

2. The person must have had a Social Security number.

3. Someone - anyone - must have reported the death to the SS Administration.

4. A Social Security Administration employee must have correctly entered the
name in the SSA's computerized database.

There seem not to be any policies or rules besides the above.

>From what information you gave, I would surmised that (a) your mother
applied for and received her Social Security card while in another
jurisdiction and (b) either her death was not reported to SSA or someone
there overlooked it.

One other possibility is that she is entered in the database, but the entry
is incorrect and thus the entry can' be easily found. Would you care to
provide her name and SS number so this possibility could be checked by the
curious?

Richard