APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168617258

Subject: Re: [APG] We don't find everyone in the Social Security Death
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:54:18 EST

In a message dated 1/12/2007 3:47:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I wonder if this situation is related to her death having been listed as
one day earlier than it occurred, even though I'm the one who called SSA
and gave them the correct date. It seems odd to me that they didn't ask
me to submit proof of her death. They stopped sending the checks, of
course. This reminds me about the mother of a friend of mine who
erroneously stopped getting her Social Security checks because she
somehow got added to SSA's Death Master Index. She had the dickens of a
time proving to them that she's still alive.

-----
Joy-

It could very well be related to a change in the record -- and you might
want to wait until the next update to the SSDI to see if the entry reappears. If
it doesn't you might want to call SSA and ask about--because a deceased
person being included in the SSDI is a protection against identity theft for the
deceased individual. Credit issuing agencies and banks do check the SSDI
when someone applies for credit.

There are instances of people who are not deceased being added to the SSDI
due to erroneous reports to SSA or confusion as to SS number resulting in the
wrong person being listed. It can take a bit of effort to (as you noted) to
resolve the issue because there is a question raised about the
matter--SOMEONE reported the death to SSA and the matter does have to be investigated and
proven in those cases. Fortunately it doesn't happen TOO often.

Joan

This thread: