APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2007-01 > 1168571725

Subject: Re: [APG] We don't find everyone in the Social Security Death
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:15:25 EST

In a message dated 1/11/2007 9:22:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

My mother's SSDI entry on Rootsweb, FamilySearch, NEHGS, and Ancestry
disappeared about a month ago from all except NEHGS.

Joy Rich
New York Metro Chapter

I can only think of two ways that an existing record could "disappear" from
the SSDI after it had once been included. The most common reason would be
that SSA removed the entry or changed it in such a way that you are not finding
it any longer in a search. Since the SSA issues a monthly update that
includes new records and any changes/removals that could account for the entry no
longer being found in most of the various SSDI listings. I don't know how
often the NEHGS updates their SSDI but it could be that they don't update as
frequently as the other SSDIs and that could be why you still find the old entry
there.

The only other possibility would be that changes were made to the search
engines and that while the record is still there, the search changes are
resulting in you not finding the entry with the search terms you are using. I think
it unlikely that all of the above SSDIs had the same changes in their search
engines at the same time though.

I can't think of any other possibility for a record that once was found in
the SSDI no longer being found there.

Joan

This thread: