APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-04 > 1145808820

From: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>
Subject: "Free" advertising
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:13:40 -0400

Sandy,
The concern is NOT about royalties (since Repeat Performance has not been
paying them anyway) but about PERMISSION. As Lynne Darrouzet, JD, CG says,
"Why is it so hard to ask permission?"

Your supposition that you are helping the speaker by advertising is a good
intention gone awry. Perhaps the speaker does not want that lecture
advertised. Suppose a new discovery, theory or a previous error has come up
and the lecture needs to be discontinued in favor of a new revised one that
the lecturer is now giving. How are you helping the genealogical world or
these society members by giving them bad information that if the lecturer
was asked for permission would have a chance to correct?

Look at it this way: We all rail against people who take our genealogical
works and either don't give us credit or pass it off as their own, or in an
innocent sense of "helping," don't let us know they are putting it on the
internet with our name attached, warts, living folks, and all! Are these not
infringements of ethics if not "copyright"? No royalties here either!

Please just have the courtesy to ask for permission and discuss with the
lecturer your intended use. The "free" advertising can cause other problems
which I have experienced and which cost me more time and headache than it
was worth. Give the lecturer the courtesy to make the decision to accept
your "free" advertising or not.

Best wishes,
Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com
Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board. http://www.BCGcertification.org/