APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-04 > 1145649863

From: Pat Asher <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Use of conference CDs
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:04:23 -0400

At 02:29 PM 4/21/2006, Mills wrote:
>Fair use? Yes, if you contact each speaker, ask permission, and receive it.

As Joan pointed out, by defintion, fair use does NOT require
permission. Permission from the writer is not required for educational
use. That is one of the exceptions considered to be fair use.

In so far as playing the CDs at a seminar or workshop, how would that
differ from a disk jockey playing a music CD at a fraternity dance or wedding?

As long as the Society does not make copies of the CD for distribution
and/or sell transcriptions, I haven't been able to think of a valid basis
for a claim of copyright infringement. If you or someone else believes
they know of a basis, I'm always willing to learn, and would appreciate a
reference to the section of the code (17 U.S.C.)

Pat

This thread: