APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-04 > 1144093137

From: "Alvie L. Davidson CG" <>
Subject: An ethical question - SUGGESTION ....
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:38:57 -0400

Good afternoon folks,
I am the chapter registrar/genealogist for a SAR chapter in Florida. We do
not have any volunteer genies and that is a new term to me.
When a person approaches our chapter to obtain membership I will assist by
giving guidance to help the prospective member get whatever documents that
are needed to obtain membership.
If this person has practically no research done and needs an exhaustive
amount of research performed I simply tell the prospective member they can
hire a professional genealogist and bring the research results to me for
completing the application.
It is not expected of me to take on a detailed research project to get a new
member. Most anyone who is knowledgeable of genealogy knows how tedious a
lineage form and documentation can be and I would not have time to take on
such a project.

Alvie L. Davidson CG

Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: