APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-04 > 1144087502

Subject: Re: [APG] An ethical question
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:05:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/3/2006 12:06:10 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

At our last chapter meeting, our state lineage research chairman spoke and
announced that Volunteer Genies were supposed to be doing research for
members
for free. Several members looked over at me when she said it and after the
meeting the regent took me aside and said we needed to talk.

I have no doubt that although my chapter isn't huge, there are a
considerable number who would take advantage of my services if they didn't
have to pay.
So I am trying to figure out what to tell the regent when I meet with her.
The only options I see are -
1. Resign and not help anyone for free.
2. Do free research for everyone - members and potential members.
3. Stick with helping get the new members in and figure the DAR and its
members will just have to accept my terms.

What do you do?

Judy Jacobson

Judy,
The first thing that came to mind was that you needed to look at the
by-laws. Do your own research on this issue before choosing a course of action.
Go to the DAR web site and enter as a member. Go to Committees and then to
Volunteer Genealogist. There should be three catagories -- volunteer
genealogist, volunteer field genealogist, and genealogy consultant. The roles of all
three are explained. This issue comes under the Organizing Chapter Services
department. I would contact them directly if you do not see your answer in
writing on the site.

Rondina P. Muncy
Grapevine, Texas

This thread: