APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-02 > 1140443223

From: "Kenneth Aitken" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Cite Your Sources!?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:47:03 -0600

In my ignorance, I'm going to speak up on this issue and declare that the
gravestone is an riginal source.
Bear in mind that as you say, sources are original or derivative. And that
fact is independent of the information contained-- i'm a little shakey on
that point. So an original document can contain primary or secondary
information.

My thinking is this. A father goes into the county court and registers the
birth of his son. A clerk charged with this task writes down the
information. A son goes into the monument carver and gives him the
particulars on his father for the gravestone. The carver, responsible for
his work, writes it down. Both are original sources.

In both cases the informant could misinform the recorder. In both cases the
recorder could make mistakes. In neither does this factor change the fact
that a record is being created.

So, shoot me full of holes>

Ken

--