APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-02 > 1139250046

From: "Mills" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Widow on Census
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:20:46 -0600

As I grew up in the South in the mid-1900s, the old-timers called it "grass
widow." Census takers, not being offered that option, used "widow" instead,
and I've seen more than a few early 20th-century legally recorded deeds in
my home county that called married women "widow" when their husbands were
"rambling men" and the wives acted as sole femes.

According to Michael Quinion's wonderful site, "World Wide Words,"
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-gra1.htm the use of "grass widow" in
such situations occurred throughout British-speaking countries and
dependencies, going back to 1528.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
*Evidence: Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian*
*QuickSheet: Citing Online Historical Resources, Evidence! Style*
*Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers,
Writers, Editors, Lecturers & Librarians*
*Isle of Canes* <www.isleofcanes.com>
"You may never look at American history the same way again"
--*Historical Novels Review*

This thread: