APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2006-02 > 1139062274

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [APG] migration route
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:11:14 -0500

Gary Stoltman wrote:

> Hi Debbie:
>
> I've found a few of mine using the Cumberland (Gap) thru Kentucky and
> then to Ohio during and after the Indian Wars - but nearer to the
> early 1800s. Green Co. is west-central Ohio and the first whites to
> settle were in 1798. I would suppose:
>
> 1. Probably followed the early trail of the Northwest Turnpike
> (finished in 1738) that started in Winchester, VA in the Shenandoah
> Valley to the area of Parkersburg, WV on the Ohio River and came down
> to Cincinnati. There was a rough road that existed through to
> Springfield in Clark Co. (just north of Green).
>
> 2. Possibly came through the Cumberland to KY to Cincinnati and then
> traveled north.

AIR, the present day US 40 was built in the early 1800s as the national
Road., Xenia is just south of US 40 and US 40 passes though northern
WV formerly VA.

Debbie wrote in he first message:

> My gg grand father, John Mahlon (or Malin) was born in Culpepper County, Va. in 1822. Oral family history says that the family was from the Shenandoah Valley.

What is your evidence that your ggf was born in Culpepper county? If the family was living there before they moved west, going north to the national Road is to me more likely than going by a southern route.

bob gillis

This thread: