APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-12 > 1135972061

From: Claire Bettag <>
Subject: Re: National Institute on Genealogical Research
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:47:41 -0500

Hi, Liz,
Only a few of the 45 attendees each year are from the D.C. area. The
great majority of participants come from across the country to spend
the week in DC learning about the publicly available federal records
that are especially valuable to genealogists. The anonymous—and very
frank—critiques given each year by every attendee show that
participants leave convinced of the value of the institute,
regardless of where they live or what kind of research they conduct.
Even those of us who live in Washington and who work frequently at
the Archives will never master everything there is to know about the
vast resources of the National Archives, so there is always lots to
learn. NARA's enhanced Web site and its growing number of online
databases, finding aids, publications, and other materials give
easier access than ever to its records and resources. So knowing what
records are there, what their genealogical worth is, and how to find
them is extremely helpful for family historians. It's what the
institute is designed to teach.

Caveat: as the director of the program I do not pretend to be
objective about the institute's value. Perhaps past attendees can
reassure you (here or privately) even better than I can about its
worth and how you might benefit from the week. If you have specific
questions, feel free to call me to talk about it. Hope this helps.
Claire

Claire Bettag
Director, National Institute on Genealogical Research
202-625-2598

On 30 Dec, 2005, at 2:03 PM, wrote:

> Date: 30 December, 2005 11:10:10 AM EST
> Subject: Re: [APG] National Institute on Genealogical Research
>

> Claire,
>
> A question, would I benefit from the Institute?
>
> I never get to DC and I thought it was only for people who have
> access to DC.
> We have a NARA here in Laguna Niguel that I have attended.
>
> Would appreciate your comments.
>
> Liz Myers
> Los Alamitos, CA

This thread: