APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-12 > 1134414675

Subject: Re: [APG] Re: APG-D Digest V05 #371
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:11:15 EST

In a message dated 12/12/2005 1:52:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

On top of that, they
all had nicknames like Munch and Wutch and Frol, so unless you were given a
scorecard, you never knew who anyone was when their names came up in
letters.

----
This gave me a chuckle and reminded me of research I did into my maternal
grandmother's family year ago...

I got back as far as two men named John who were the sons of two brothers
named Henry and Matthias. I knew one of the Johns was my
great-great-grandfather but how to prove which was which? To make matter worse a previous
genealogist had documented the Johns and my research turned up doubts that she had
them assigned to the correct parents.

Both Johns were born within a couple years of each other, both had married
women named Mary, and both were born and lived their entire lives in the same
township! One John was childless and the other the father of nine children.
To cut to the chase, I was eventually able to prove conclusively which John
was which and proved the earlier researchers wrong in their assignment of the
two Johns.

Years later, a cousin who found me through my research came into possession
of a journal kept by her great-grandmother which included entries recorded
during the lifetime of the two Johns. It gave me great pleasure to read that
even during their lives the two men were often confused and they were given
nicknames...one was "Cake and Coffee John" because he loved to eat cake and
drink coffee and the other was called "Hickory John" because his house had an
old hickory tree out front. Now if I could only figure out which John was Cake
and Coffee John and which was Hickory John I'd be all set. <g>

Joan

This thread: