APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-10 > 1128636142

From: "Kate Lynn" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Lost military records
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:02:22 -0500
References: <p05210601bf6afe4bda9e@[]>


Try this link:
www.index.va.gov/search/va/va_search.jsp. Once there choose, M21-1, MR,
Part III, Subpart ii, Chapter 6 . This will open in a word document. Skip
down to page 19: "Forms of Evidence for Verification of Service and
Character of Discharge."

This does not directly address the issue of a Veterans widow, however, it is
a starting point for finding an alternate form of proof of discharge. Hope
this is of some help.

Catherine Foote Lynn
Genealogist and Family Historian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carolyn Ybarra" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:22 AM
Subject: [APG] Lost military records

> I have a client who is trying to get benefits for her mother
> (Veteran's Aid and Attendance) who is a widow of a WWII army infantry
> soldier. She has been unable to get his records from Vetrecs, and I
> think they must have been destroyed (when records were lost in 1973).
> She does not have his service number.
> Does anyone have experience with the VA and know what they accept as
> a substitute for discharge papers? I know to look at the county to
> see if maybe he registered upon discharge. There also may be VA
> hospital records for him. I also know I can try to match where/when
> he is known by the family to have served with particular infantry
> units. But I'm not sure which, if any, of these the VA will accept
> as proof of service.
> Thanks.
> Carolyn
> --
> ___________________
> Carolyn Ybarra, Ph.D.
> Family Research Services
> 1017 El Camino Real, #332
> Redwood City, CA 94063
> ==== APG Mailing List ====
> The Association of Professional Genealogists
> http://www.apgen.org/publications/apg-l/index.html

This thread: