APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-05 > 1115311205

From: "James Brady" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] RE: Ancestry Marketing
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:45:18 -0400

Dick wrote:
>The marketing people are in a separate department or different company.
>Their job is to sell. Historically, there has been little or no
coordination
>and understand between editorial and marketing people in many
>publishing/information companies.
----
Maybe we need to point these marketers to the same American Marketing
Association Code of Ethics http://www.marketingpower.com/content435.php that
I mentioned yesterday.

To wit [excerpting, as seems appropriate]:
We will offer products of value that do what we claim in our communications.
We will represent our products in a clear way in selling, advertising and
other forms of communication; this includes the avoidance of false,
misleading and deceptive promotion.
We will explain significant product or service risks, component
substitutions or other foreseeable eventualities that could affect customers
or their perception of the purchase decision.

Looks like the upshot of the merger between the two old firms is that the
former Ancestry.com people run content and the former Genealogy.com people
are doing the marketing.

Jim

This thread: